Standardisation or harmonisation? Actually both are needed. Why is that? It is a cycle, starting with assessing the current client situation in certain areas and it is followed by:
Mapping of the operational processes and assessing the process transfer:
- Define “AS IS” processes vs. “TO BE” model: Process charter, Process Maps;
- Analysis laid on approach based on interviews leading to questionnaires/ Due diligence on: Documentation, Technology (IT enablers: single ERP platform, automation level and interfaces), and Volumes;
- Evaluate and assess processes via visualization tools using relevant dimensions (Standardization, Complexity of processes and Sustainability after transfer) for decision making;
- Document in Process Maps processes details using SOPs (Standard Operating Procedures).
Key Success Factors for standardisation and harmonisation (*)
- Senior Management Buy-in and Governance. Process standardisation and harmonisation are explicitly stated as objectives.
- Clear decision rules for standardisation and harmonisation:
- criteria when process variants should not be standardised;
- criteria for selecting the best standard. These should be based on process performance and process cost.
Standardisation and harmonisation efforts need to be organised.
(*) source: Albrecht Richen and Ansgar Steinhorst
Our Process Documentation and Standardization Phase methodologies:
- Workshadowing of Subject Matter Experts (SMEs) / Process Executors in daily activities
- Preparation of process description and detailed procedures including screenshots and narratives for each process step and preparation of supporting documentation templates for all processes defined in the Process Charter
- Validation by SME
- Reference to standards
- Continuous reassessment of standards on regular basis
Harmonisation, centralisation and optimisation are the stages on the way to maturity and operational perfection of the majority of organisations. We support organisations in their definition of strategy and afterwards accompany the whole process. We implement plans for the particular activities such as harmonisation, processes redefinition and the entire transformation programs.